In this week’s episode, Matt and I cover 8 common communication barriers that most couples encounter and then explore 7 ways to overcome them.
Because let’s face it: sometimes communication can be difficult. Between the busy-ness of everyday life to major stressors that are bound to occur, it’s not always easy talking to the person who’s going through life by our side.
Eight Common Barriers in Communication:
While these lists are, by no means, exhaustive, they definitely cover some of the major topics that we’ve either seen, experienced or heard other people talk about.
- Life transitions
- Financial Stress
- Physical and Mental Health Issues
- Changes in Sexual Relationship
- Extended Family
- Changing Hobbies and Interests
- Loss and Grief
Seven Practical Ways to Overcome Communication Barriers:
- Scheduling time for both fun and difficult conversations to take place
- In the middle of a crisis, put everything else on hold
- Keep a Captain’s Log
- Take time to really listen
- Honor and respect one another’s vulnerability
- Own your own issues
- Avoid passive-aggressive behavior
To hear how these ideas are fleshed out, tune into this week’s episode.